What will laser hair removal be like?
You book your laser hair removal appointment online. When you arrive for your appointment, you will complete some paperwork with medical history and consent forms. Your laser hair removal expert will give you a robe, towel wrap, and whatever else is appropriate for your appointment. The area is shaved (if necessary), wiped clean of lotions, makeup, oil, etc. We may also use some cold packs to cool the area to and provide some extra comfort. You and the expert will both put on protective goggles while you sit back and relax. The expert will place the laser on your skin and zap your hairs 1 square centimeter at a time. So, obviously, lazing a leg takes much longer than an underarm. No worries, your expert it trained to keep things moving – no need to doodle here!
How do I prepare for laser hair removal?
- Avoid UV exposure prior to and after your appointment – this includes sunshine and tanning booths.
- Do not wax or tweeze the area for at least 1 month before the appointment, and not at all in between appointments. Hair must be in the follicle to be lazeable.
- More specifically, it is ideal to shave the area a few days before your appointment. How many days before varies from area to area – you know your body best or ask your laser hair expert. The goal is to have 1/8 – 1/4 inch of growth at your first appointment – we need to see the hair well for the most effective zapping.
- If in doubt or you can’t reach to shave the area… call, email, or just come in and we’ll shave it here
- Brazillians and beard trims: shave what you want lazed, do not shave whatever you want left unlazed.
- If you’re worried about the pain, take an ibuprofen before you arrive. We use up to 3 different methods of cooling/pain relief during your appointment.
- Some people ask about numbing creams – we do have it available for an additional charge, but rarely find it necessary.
What does laser hair removal feel like?
The laser hair removal process uses heat to kill the follicle, so the process can feel like a burn. Sometimes it lingers like a sunburn, often it’s gone by the time you leave, and sometimes it’s virtually painless – this all depends on the person, the sensitivity of the area, and the strength of the laser beam being used for your particular skin and hair color.
Some feel it as:
- Little to no pain at all.
- Being snapped with a rubber band.
- Quite painful.
We tend to say: Worst case scenario, it hurts a lot. Most agree that its much less painful than waxing. And getting lazed has the infinite value of being permanent!
What should I expect after laser hair removal?
After each appointment, it takes a few days to a few weeks for the dead, lazed hairs to work out of the follicle. Once they’re gone, you’ll likely have some time being truly hair-free, until the new growth from the next cycle starts growing. Following the first and second appointments, it’s typical to see pretty full new growth. New growth will start thinning and lessening after the 3rd zapping and beyond. Everyone is different. After your 2nd and 3rd appointments, you’ll see that spots and patches of hair will simply not grow back! Note: lazing does not thin out the hair evenly. It’s random which spots disappear and which ones don’t. Obviously, we keep treating until all areas are gone. Between appointments, you shave or buzz as you normally would. As we progress, there will be less and less growing back.
How long does laser hair removal take?
Appointments vary greatly in length—anything from 10 minutes to 3 hours, and they are 4 or 8 weeks apart, depending on the area. The number of treatments needed to rid any area of hair is typically 6, but this can vary from person to person. The total number of treatments needed is also something that varies even more from one laser shop to another—and can be the reason for an unexpectedly high cost. Here at Get Lazed, we pride ourselves both on our laser equipment and our techniques, which combine to make for a very effective treatment.
Laser Hair Removal Consultation
Contact Get Lazed to schedule your Laser Hair Removal consultation or call 612-627-9999 with any questions.